As dog parents we only want the best for our pets and for them to know that they are loved. There are many ways to show our dogs we love them and one of the most popular methods comes in the form of sharing delicious treats. Usually we will feed them with dog treats we purchased from a store or that we have made ourselves especially for them.
Other times, because they’re so adorable, some of us may give them a little bit of ‘people food’ to mark special occasions or reward good behavior, or because they guilt us into sharing with those sad puppy dog eyes. While there are plenty of foods that are okay to feed our dogs in small doses there are certain foods that dogs should not eat under any circumstance.
Below is a list of the top 13 ‘people food’ items you should never let your dog eat and what to do if they get into something they shouldn’t have.
Alcohol has the same effects on dogs that it does on humans. However, because they are smaller, alcohol will hit a dog much faster and in much smaller doses. Alcohol poisoning is a serious threat to the health of your dog and can result in the need for immediate medical intervention. Be on the lookout for symptoms such as decreased coordination, diarrhea, vomiting, and central nervous system depression which can lead to coma and even death.
Avocados are a popular food item for people but can have deadly consequences if ingested by a dog. Avocados contain a fungicidal toxin called persin which is poisonous to dogs causing diarrhea and vomiting. Additionally, the sizable seed in the middle is a choking hazard. If a dog is able to swallow the seed without choking it can then become lodged in their stomach or intestines.
3. Candy / Gum
Licorice and other candies that are high in sugar can affect dogs similarly to humans as well. Too much sugar can cause weight gain and tooth decay in dogs and may even lead to diabetes.
Meanwhile many sugar free gums and candies use an artificial sweetener called xylitol which is highly poisonous to dogs. Ingesting even a small amount can cause a drop in blood sugar and lead to liver failure. Early warning signs include lethargy, decrease in coordination, vomiting, and even seizures.
Most people are aware that chocolate is a big no-no for dogs. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baker’s chocolate are the worst because they contain the highest concentrations of caffeine and other methylxanthines.
Methylxanthines are a chemical compound that can cause abnormal heart rhythm, hyperactivity, excessive thirst and urination, seizures, tremors, diarrhea, vomiting, and even death in dogs.
5. Citrus Fruit
Avoid letting your dog eat any citrus fruit such as oranges, lemons, and limes because the citric acid can lead to an upset stomach even in smaller doses. The more of it they eat the more potent the effect and it can even lead to central nervous system depression if they eat too much.
6. Coffee / Caffeine
Coffee beans can be very enticing to a dog but those and anything else that contains caffeine are no good for your dog for the same reason chocolate isn’t; they contain methylxanthines.
7. Grapes / Raisins
Eating grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs and raisins are even worse. Be sure to watch out for things like fruit salads which may contain grapes or raisins as one of the ingredients. Early signs that a dog has eaten too many grapes are lethargy, vomiting, and depression.
8. Milk & Other Dairy Products
Most dogs are lactose-intolerant which means their body is unable to efficiently break down lactose, a sugar found in milk and dairy products. For most huskies consuming too much dairy can lead to an upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal issues.
Many types of nuts including walnuts, almonds, and pecans are not good for dogs because they contain a high concentration of fats and oils. A dog that ingests enough may experience diarrhea, vomiting, and even pancreatitis. Macadamia nuts are especially dangerous and sometimes lethal for huskies resulting in vomiting, lethargy, depression, and hyperthermia (increase in body temperature).
10. Onions & Garlic
Onions, garlic, and chives can all cause serious gastrointestinal issues if ingested by your dog. Eating enough of them can cause permanent damage to red blood cells resulting in a condition known as anemia.
Rhubarb, a fruit like vegetable, can cause a number of different ailments if ingested by dogs. These include diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, tremors, bloody urine, and even kidney failure.
Snack foods like chips or pretzels that have a high salt content are not good to feed your husky. If too much salt is ingested it can lead to sodium ion poisoning. The symptoms include excessive urination, excessive thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, depression, hyperthermia, seizures, and even death.
13. Yeast Dough
If your dog ingests even a little bit of yeast dough it can cause life threatening problems. The dough in their stomach will begin to expand causing discomfort and bloating. If severe enough it can even rupture their stomach or intestines. Additionally, yeast produces ethanol as a byproduct which can result in alcohol poisoning in the poor pooch.
If Your Husky Eats Something They Shouldn’t Have
Now you know some of the top foods that dogs should not eat under any circumstance, but accidents do happen and dogs get into things they shouldn’t all the time.
If you even suspect that your dog has gotten into one of these foods or anything else that could be potentially poisonous remain calm and contact your veterinarian or the closest animal emergency clinic immediately. If this isn’t possible you should contact the official ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for assistance.