Foods That Dogs Should Not Eat Under Any Circumstance

Siberian Husky Face

As dog parents we only want the best for our pets and for them to know that they are loved. There are many ways to show our dogs we love them and one of the most popular methods comes in the form of sharing delicious treats. Usually we will feed them with dog treats we purchased from a store or that we have made ourselves especially for them.

Other times, because they’re so adorable, some of us may give them a little bit of ‘people food’ to mark special occasions or reward good behavior, or because they guilt us into sharing with those sad puppy dog eyes. While there are plenty of foods that are okay to feed our dogs in small doses there are certain foods that dogs should not eat under any circumstance.

Below is a list of the top 13 ‘people food’ items you should never let your dog eat and what to do if they get into something they shouldn’t have.

1. AlcoholAlcohol

Alcohol has the same effects on dogs that it does on humans. However, because they are smaller, alcohol will hit a dog much faster and in much smaller doses. Alcohol poisoning is a serious threat to the health of your dog and can result in the need for immediate medical intervention. Be on the lookout for symptoms such as decreased coordination, diarrhea, vomiting, and central nervous system depression which can lead to coma and even death.

2. Avocado

Avocados are a popular food item for people but can have deadly consequences if ingested by a dog. Avocados contain a fungicidal toxin called persin which is poisonous to dogs causing diarrhea and vomiting. Additionally, the sizable seed in the middle is a choking hazard. If a dog is able to swallow the seed without choking it can then become lodged in their stomach or intestines.

3. Candy / Gum

Licorice and other candies that are high in sugar can affect dogs similarly to humans as well. Too much sugar can cause weight gain and tooth decay in dogs and may even lead to diabetes.

Meanwhile many sugar free gums and candies use an artificial sweetener called xylitol which is highly poisonous to dogs. Ingesting even a small amount can cause a drop in blood sugar and lead to liver failure. Early warning signs include lethargy, decrease in coordination, vomiting, and even seizures.

4. Chocolate

ChocolateMost people are aware that chocolate is a big no-no for dogs. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baker’s chocolate are the worst because they contain the highest concentrations of caffeine and other methylxanthines.

Methylxanthines are a chemical compound that can cause abnormal heart rhythm, hyperactivity, excessive thirst and urination, seizures, tremors, diarrhea, vomiting, and even death in dogs.

5. Citrus Fruit

Avoid letting your dog eat any citrus fruit such as oranges, lemons, and limes because the citric acid can lead to an upset stomach even in smaller doses. The more of it they eat the more potent the effect and it can even lead to central nervous system depression if they eat too much.

6. Coffee / Caffeine

Coffee beans can be very enticing to a dog but those and anything else that contains caffeine are no good for your dog for the same reason chocolate isn’t; they contain methylxanthines.

7. Grapes / Raisins

Eating grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs and raisins are even worse. Be sure to watch out for things like fruit salads Grapeswhich may contain grapes or raisins as one of the ingredients. Early signs that a dog has eaten too many grapes are lethargy, vomiting, and depression.

8. Milk & Other Dairy Products

Most dogs are lactose-intolerant which means their body is unable to efficiently break down lactose, a sugar found in milk and dairy products. For most huskies consuming too much dairy can lead to an upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal issues.

9. Nuts

Many types of nuts including walnuts, almonds, and pecans are not good for dogs because they contain a high concentration of fats and oils. A dog that ingests enough may experience diarrhea, vomiting, and even pancreatitis. Macadamia nuts are especially dangerous and sometimes lethal for huskies resulting in vomiting, lethargy, depression, and hyperthermia (increase in body temperature).

10. Onions & Garlic

Onions & GarlicOnions, garlic, and chives can all cause serious gastrointestinal issues if ingested by your dog. Eating enough of them can cause permanent damage to red blood cells resulting in a condition known as anemia.

 

 

11. Rhubarb

Rhubarb, a fruit like vegetable, can cause a number of different ailments if ingested by dogs. These include diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, tremors, bloody urine, and even kidney failure.

12. Salt

Snack foods like chips or pretzels that have a high salt content are not good to feed your husky. If too much salt is ingested Salt Pretzelsit can lead to sodium ion poisoning. The symptoms include excessive urination, excessive thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, depression, hyperthermia, seizures, and even death.

13. Yeast Dough

If your dog ingests even a little bit of yeast dough it can cause life threatening problems. The dough in their stomach will begin to expand causing discomfort and bloating. If severe enough it can even rupture their stomach or intestines. Additionally, yeast produces ethanol as a byproduct which can result in alcohol poisoning in the poor pooch.

If Your Husky Eats Something They Shouldn’t Have

Now you know some of the top foods that dogs should not eat under any circumstance, but accidents do happen and dogs get into things they shouldn’t all the time.

If you even suspect that your dog has gotten into one of these foods or anything else that could be potentially poisonous remain calm and contact your veterinarian or the closest animal emergency clinic immediately. If this isn’t possible you should contact the official ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for assistance.

For additional reading check out these resources from the ASPCA and the American Kennel Club.

 

 

Previous

Martingale Collar Review, Choosing The Best Collar for Your Husky

Next

Nylabone Natural Nutri Dent Dental Chew Treats Review

3 Comments

  1. jaylynjj

    I know of this subject very well. for I know of the food that we can give are dogs. And cheese and yogurt as long that there is no sweeteners oatmeal eggs green beans apple slices, chicken and salmon peanut butter. there digestive system can handle those type of foods. Not saying all dogs can or will even like them. My dog dose that is the only people foods he gets. But thank you for you blog. Very pretty huskey.

  2. Kai

    Hi! Thank you for sharing this important message! Many new dog owners don’t know and feed their dogs these foods and end up hurting them.
    I didn’t know what is rhubarb until I read your article. Now I know it is bad for dogs, and I will probably not touch it. I also didn’t know citric acid is bad for dogs. Citric acid is used commonly in many packaged foods and supplements. I will read the labels more carefully now before I buy anything for my dog.
    This list is really helpful! I will refer to this list everytime I am unsure about certain foods. Thank you!

  3. Matron Okoye B.N

    This is really an informative article on how to abstain dogs from eating certain foods. I am a pet lover especially Dogs. I remembered the last time I tried giving my mastiff a little volume of beer, It was really hell. This review is 100% true because I’ve had an experience, I really enjoyed reading this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén